➡ Interested in enrolling? Welcome! Click here.
➡ Interested in hiring a graduate? Wonderful! Click here.
The Vision: Common Grounds
Manna on Main Street is committed to ending hunger and the joblessness that fuels this instability. The Common Grounds Food Service Training to Employment Program is a free, 12-week training program that utilizes the national, evidenced-based Catalyst Kitchens model. Trainees engage in experiential learning, contributing to food production in Manna’s mission-driven kitchen and service of Manna’s new, Common Grounds café, gaining customer service experience. Classroom instruction in food service and employment competencies furthers skill development, with social services provided based on trainees’ needs. All trainees graduate with the goal of securing food service employment and a successful, sustainable career.
Trainees represent economically disadvantaged individuals in our community, primarily those struggling with food insecurity, poverty and homelessness. Manna partners with a wide-range of non-profits to refer individuals to this training program who could most benefit from this opportunity and have made the commitment to invest in themselves and their future.
In Montgomery County…
- More than 80,000 individuals or 10% are food insecure; a troubling 23,000 children or 13.2% experience food insecurity.
- In a community of affluence, 7.1% of individuals live in poverty, and many more struggle on a daily basis.
- Together, we can advance the food security and economic vibrancy of our community, strengthening Montgomery County through sustainable employment.
Feeding America Map the Map Gap 2014 | US Census Quick Facts 2010-2014
- Trainees: Join the team! Please click here for the application and information. Send your completed application to Sue Jurina, the Common Grounds Employment & Social Services Coordinator. Once received, she will contact you to review your application. Sue: ProgramAssistant@mannaonmain.org or 215.855.5454.
- The first training program will begin with a Challenge Week (interview): March 6-9, with the program operating March 13-June 1; six- eight trainees will be accepted. This program will be offered year-round, operating every 12 weeks with 6-8 trainees per session. Please click here for the year-round schedule.
- Employers: Hire our highly-motivated, skilled and certified graduates to be successful in your business. Please click here for more information or contact Sue Jurina, the Common Grounds Employment & Social Services Coordinator: ProgramAssistant@mannaonmain.org or 215.855.5454.
- Volunteers: Serve alongside trainees in the Common Grounds Café. Learn more about volunteering at Manna!
- Givers: Donate to Manna, and support this training program as well as Manna’s emergency food and social services programs.
Through the Common Grounds Food Service Training to Employment Program, Manna can help transform lives and create lasting change through what we know best: food.